Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Siemens 840D Probing Help

Dmills

We are trying to setup probing programs with our renshaw probe so that we can probe the locations of our trim fixtures and automatically offset the trim program or the axis so that the part is trimmed correctly. Currently we are probing the parts by hand and this is not effective. What i would like to do, is setup my trim tool on the machine, probe it to find its actual location, then translate my trim program so it matches where the tool actuly is. i need some help as to how we would use the renshaw probe to find the location of my tools and then what steps we would have to take before we could run our trim program. If there is anyone out there that can help me? We are using mastercam for the programming and running a Siemens 840D controller.

Do you need something specific or help with the whole thing?

This is no simple task if you don't have previous experience with it.

You would need all the probe routines set up as subprograms in the control. You would have to know how to pass variables back and forth in the control and possibly build subprograms to specifically call what you want. Then you would have to have your post set up to output the probe calls when you designate them to in the program.

In the past the guys that sold us a machine did some training for us with probe routines, macros, etc. I would suggest that route first if you have limited knowledge of it. Otherwise I would ask specifics and you would be more likely to get a helpful response.