Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Digitizers

R Bennett

Ok, you have to run a chook now: MCDigitize.

Use the MCDigitize C-Hook to accurately enter points, lines and splines with a digitizer. After starting the C-Hook, click the button for the type of geometry that you want to create.

Notes:

The MCDigitize C-Hook does not allow the digitizer to be used as a mouse.

Click Test to display the digitizer data in binary and ASCII format.

Click Setup to select a digitizer model and enter calibration parameters and communication settings.

Troubleshooting tips

Read the digitizer manual carefully and set all required DIP switches to match the digitizer mode and communications parameters. Some Summagraphics tablets have utilities such as mm.com, uiof.com and send.com that can emulate different digitizers. As of this date, the Summagraphics utilities do not work in Windows NT. The digitizer must be set to stream mode (not point mode or switch stream mode).

Use the Test option to check digitizer output. A repeating pattern such as the one below (Numonics) should appear.

00 40 5e 80 78 77 .@^.xw

00 40 5e 80 78 77 .@^.xw

If no data appears, then the digitizer may not be set to stream mode, or you may have selected the wrong COM port. If the pattern does not repeat, you might have selected the wrong digitizer model.

A cyan cursor will track the digitizer position. If the cursor is not visible, unzoom several times and move the digitizer cursor.

Click here to learn more about using CalComp digitizers or the Drawing Board III digitizer.

code:

Using CalComp digitizers

DO NOT INSTALL THE WINTAB DRIVERS (ccwintab.dll, wintab32.dll, ccwintab.drv, ccwteng.bin, cc95drv.vxd, ccwtmgr.exe, ccsetup.exe)! This will make the digitizer behave like a mouse instead of a digitizer. Installing the WinTab drivers will also disable the built-in configuration. If these drivers have been loaded, turn the digitizer off and on.

We have tested the digitize program with a Drawing Board III. Here is the recommended setup:

Click Setup and select Calcomp 9100. The default parameters are:

Calcomp 9100 Ascii

1000 lines/inch

9600 E:7:1

Using the Calcomp's built-in configuration, set up as follows:

Operating mode: run

Increment mode: none

Prompt mode: off

Data rate: 125 pps

Resolution: 1000 lpi

Format: Calcomp 9100-1

Add line feed: no

Data/stop bits: 7

Baud rate: 9600

Parity: even

CTS line enable: off

(This setting must be off because the MCDigitize C-Hook does not support hardware handshaking. This is the only difference between the Mastercam setup and the AutoCad setup using the CalComp 9100 format as listed in the Drawing Board III Users Guide.)

CR on ascii formats: CR (on)

Config 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

A 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

B 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

C 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

The Drawing Board III can also emulate other digitizers, including the Summasketch II (MM 1201B). From the Setup dialog box, select:

Summasketch II

500 lines/inch

9600 baud, O:8:1

Configure the digitizer as follows:

Operating mode: run

Increment mode: none

Prompt mode: off

Data rate: 100 pps

Resolution: 500 lpi

Format: MM 1201B

Add line feed: no

Data/stop bits: 8

baud rate: 9600

Parity: odd

CTS line enable: off

Config 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

A 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1

B 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

C 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

This is not the preferred format (the Calcomp 9100 format is).

Comments or questions about this topic? Let us know!

Learn more

Learn more

MCDigitize C-Hook

MCDigitize C-Hook

MCDigitize Setup

MCDigitize Setup

At my last Job I was using an Accutab 2 by Calcomp. I asked for help to get it to work with X3 and got no responses. I wound up using Autocad and it worked great. I was dizitizing Aerospace mylars with it. I'd say it was good to within .010" and that was mostly do to my hand and eye cordination. Most of the parts that I was digitizing were sheet metal and had +/- .03. If you have alot of drawings you might want to consider a scanner with rastor to vector conversion. We had one of those to. I didn't trust it on the large parts though. seems like calibration went out the window when you went from a B size to a E size drawing. HTH!