Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

using stl files to verify toolpaths

PaceToolmaker

a while back i came across the forum that you could import an stl file as mesh, then turn on the shading of your surfaces and look for any gouges. I have not worked with stl files before and would like to know how to do this.I have seen the switch in the verify settings the prompt for file selection if i were to use an stl file im assuming.Is there a way to import an stl file on its own level then be able to translate,rotate,etc.?

Pacetoolmaker

There is a way to do this but it is much easier to do what you want using a solid model. If you have solids you can verify your toolpaths directly over your solid model to check for gouges. To do what you want with an STL file you need to select Xform STL and translate the STL file to the correct position so it is lined up correctly for veriying. This process can be time consuming. Verify also has a feature called compare to STL but I'm not to farmiliar with it.

I use STL files to verify alot and I use "Compare to STL." as well. It works great if you are willing to put the time in. When you bring in your STL. file, you have to make sure it lines up with your model correctly. A little off (.001) and it can give some odd results.

PaceToolmaker,

Generally we start with either a block or a casting.

If a block I extrude a quick soild model, and in the case of a casting we will usually get a solid model from the customer.

Place the solid(block or model) where you want it in Mastercam, for us this is normally driven by models which come from our tooling dept.

As you start to generate toolpaths you can begin with the "select solid" in verify.

After running your toolpaths save the result as an .STL file (we have a file system wich allows you to identify which file represents the verification process up to a certain operation number).

For the next operation(s) you verify, instead of using the "select solid" function use the "select file" function and start with the previously saved file.

Then reepat. Eventually you will have a "library" of files representing the part at different stages of machining.

In the STOCK set up page chose the DISPLAY FILE option and tick the Display and Solid check boxes below.

Select the file you want to display via the button at far right of the file dialouge box and your .STL will be displayed as a translucent solid over your part (which you have in position within your material envelope).

You want to use contrasting colors between your solid model and .STL so that areas of the .STL which drop below the model surface (gouges) will show up. I generally use 86 for the model and 177 for the .STL (set in config. file) so gouges show up as bright green spots in a sea of dull red. "Tigerstriping" inidcates you are right on the surface.

As you move from one set up to the next you will either have to translate your last .STL from the last setup to the new setup position or constuct a new WCS for your subsequent operations.

As mentioned above translating the .STL is not as contollable as translating entities but as you use this method you will begin to figure out ways to make it a little quicker. I generally use this metod as most of my programming is 4 axis includig a fair maont of "live" 4 axis stuff so I like to keep my WCS on Mastercam Zero.

Always make sure you are in TOP in the STOCK file page or your .STL will start moving around the screen.

I work in an Aerospace job shop, so these methods might not suit you but hopefully you can get an idea of the functionality and modify to suit your purposes.

Cheers

Nick Eaton