Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ethernet communication to Mazak lathe.

I work in the milling department but need to help our lathe departmnet start to save their mazak lathe programs. All of the programs are made at the machine and need to be backed up on the shop computer. The machines communicate with the shop computer via ethernet cable. I know the communication network is working properly because they were backed up once previously. The guy who did the backup is hard to get in touch with. The machines we have are:

Integrex 200SY with Fusion 640MT control

Integrex 200IV with Matrix control

Integrex 100IV with Matrix control

Quickturn 200SMY with Fusion 640T control.

To me it seems like I should just be able to access the hard drives on the machines and copy the programs to the shop computer through windows explorer. The problem is I can't seem to pull up the hard drives for the machines. Do I need to get the machines set up any specific way to be able to access their hard drives. Any help is greatly appreciated

Do you mean access the drives on the CNC from another computer? I have yet to solve that problem, my big problem is user access restrictions. The windows based control wants a valid username and password to allow remote access and I have yet to get one to work (even after calling mazak). Mazak gave me the "Admin password" but it does not work to allow remote access even when I share the drive from the machines OS. It was looking like I would have to setup another user within the windows enviroment with admin rights but I did not want to do that and cause any bootup (start up) issues with a login screen, so I left it.

So to do backups a carry my USB mouse over to the machine plug it in the USB port and copy, drag and drop to our network drive every couple of weeks.

I have also thought about writing a an old fashion DOS batch file to copy the files over to the network from the machine and run it as a scheduled task.

John

A couple years back, we had a Mazak mill with the 640M control, Widows 2000 was the operating system. I was able to do what you want. All I did was plug it into the network, share a couple of folders and off we went.

Now, we have a newer Mazak with the Matrix control, WinXP and I'm having the same problems you are......I can see the machine on the network, but it won't allow access. I CAN get it to work the other way, tho....From the control, I can navigate the network and load and save programs to my office PC.

Justin, I haven't done it on a Fusion control, but it's pretty easy with the Matrix, especially if you just want to save the programs.

Open windows explorer on the Matrix control, go to the C drive, and make sure the MC_Backup folder is shared. This is where the control looks for Data I/O. Inside MC_Backup, create a new folder and name it whatever you want (5-28-10backup) etc. Just make sure there are no spaces in the name.

Go to Data I/O>Hard Disk>Directory Select>5-28-10backup> then select your programs and hit start.

For those having trouble setting up access to the control from a desktop PC, you need to go into the Windows Control Panel on the control > User Accounts > and setup a name and password.

I have mine all mapped as network drives, and I post right to a folder in the MC_Backup directory titled "EIALOAD".

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

This is Jose, from Spain, i have a problem with my mazak cnc center. Looking for the solution I found this conversation and i think its quite similar to my problem.

My problem is the following:

When I  connect my Machine, I have a good communication between my desk computer and the machine, I have a foler on my desktop and I just have to drag the programs into that folder for sending the program to the mazak center. But, after 15 or 20 minutts the conexion between my computer and the mazak center stops, and for restoring the conection I need to completely turn off the mazak center and restart it.

If somebody can help me telling me how to set a communicatino way between my computer and the machine I will be really gratefull.

My cnc machien center is a mazak vcn 510c, the controller is a mazatrol nexus with windows xp.

thanks for your time