Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Help

Karl@CP PISTONS

Hi All,

I am having a problem with solids. I placed a file in the ver 8 dir of the ftp site named remove.mc8 I would like to boolean out the solid on level 5 from the solid on level 1. I get an error stating - operation would result in non-manifold body -. What is a non-manifold body? Am I going about this all wrong? any and all sugestions will be welcomed.

For those of you who helped john@budnik thank you all

Unfortuneitly he is not @budnik any longer frown.giffrown.gif

thanks all!!!!!

Karl@budnik

Karl,

You are probably cutting the remainig solid into two pieces. Mastercam will not allow you to do this. You must make sure that your solid body that you have remaining is one complete piece. I can't get your file off the ftp because of company policy but see if you can find where you cut it into two pieces. Hope this helps!!! wink.gif

David,

The file remove2.mc8 gives the error - Boolean add would result in disjoint body - with an OK button then - error reapplying operation. Regen not complete.- with an ok button. After this the solid on level 1 show on the screen with no cuts of any kind????? I think I didnt make myself clear in my first post. I need the shape form level 5 to create the spoke pattern. Just removing the top profile will not do what I need. (I don't think so anyway).

Karl@budnik

Jay, I also am sorry 'bout john. He was only here 3 months. I liked working with him I learned a lot.

PS after he left we found a virus in his ( mine now )new computer. After the MAJOR cleanup (including FDISK) and new win install there have been no problems with MC and XP home. I have the video setting all the way up with no problems. Still would like to know where that virus came from. He was very careful 'bout e-mail and such.

Thanks all

Karl@budnik

quote:

Now whats the best way to machine it?

I do not think it is fair. Every body in this forum has job. You did your work in your job and had a problem. We use our own time; try our best to help you. Now, you have not done any thing, have not even tried to do a toolpath and let us do it for you. Why did your boss hire you?

Please do your job first then, let us know if you have any problem and what kind problem. There is a fine line between helping you and doing it for you.

Yes, John left. That is all we know. Please do not tell us why did he leave and you people "found a virus in his ( mine now )new computer"...It is your company's business. And, it is not fair to John because he can not defense him self here.

P.S. Please tell your boss upgrade to XP pro.

[ 08-28-2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

David S.

I was only asking for opinions an how to do my job better. Just because there are no toolpaths in the file I uploaded don't assume that I "have not done anything". frown.gif I did try some toolpaths on this and did not like the results.

As to "Why did your boss hire you?" He hired me to do lathe programming. Since I know mastercam I am trying to help out with mill.

I also didn't want to mis-align John.

My purpose in saying that there was a virus was to inform the people who helped that this was possibly a reason as to why mastercam had a lot of problems.

As to XP Pro, home is limping along now so pro automatically moved to the very back burner.

Tony,

Thanks for the offer but as david s. said you guys have jobs to do also. I need to do it in order to learn it. I'm just looking for tips! I will e-mail it to you though. The problems I had were with the shallow sides. My first thought was a pocket project path to the solid surface. This looked to be jumping up and down (rapid up move rapid back down) instead of following the sides down.

Thank You

Karl

here I am guys not dead yet, just going broke with no work to do. I would help you out Karl, but I have no software. Are you enjoying the new tube? The facts of the matter is that Budnik is a neofite who does not understand the work envolved in building a watertight machineable model. that said, the penny wise dollar foolish style he uses to run his biz left me snickering. twenty endmills in one day give me a brake. anyway water under the bridge. I am looking for work in costa mesa area, you have seen my work. if you hear of anything let me know. thanks John

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would not work for Alan. I know how he is and how he does things, and it would just not be a good match for my personality.

Neofite(sp?)........ LOL!!!!!!!!

JM2C

[ 09-06-2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]