Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is X4 Mill Level-1 Capable?

YARGNAIRB

I have uploaded a part on the FTP Site in the Drawings Folder labeled "Go No-Go Gage". Can some of you please take a look at it and tell me if my X4 Mill Level-1 is capable of programming this Toolpath? It is just a very simple part, but is a good example of a problem I have ran into several times before, and haven't yet gotten a straight answer on. I've been told by some that X4 Mill Level-1 won't do it, and I've been told by others that it will do it. And I have literally spent hours trying different Toolpaths and Chaining, with no luck at all. On the part you will notice a 90 degree (sharp) transition in the middle of the part. This transition is not critical and does not have to be exactly how it's drawn, however the tool makes the transition here will be fine. The thing I am having trouble with and really need to learn to do, is producing the Arcs with my Z Axis for Concaving & Convexing parts on their top surfaces. Basically I do a lot of parts that I need to round off the edges on, and instead of trying to find a Corner Rounding End Mill for every radius that I need, I want to be able to create Toolpaths that will do this using Ball Nose End Mills. For the sample part I have posted, I would like to be able to machine the entire top surface using a 1/2" Ball Nose End Mill.

Any help is always GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You,

Brian

Brian,

You can cut that all day long with level 1 except for the transition in the center where the features are sharp. You'll have the radii from the ball EM there.

You need to choose the wireframe toolpaths ..use the ruled or swept toolpath.

For that feature I would use the ruled. You just need to chain the profile beginning and end profile. The swept toolpath is a good toolpath too but ruled is a better fit for now. Let me know if you need more help.

Stan