Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wiper Shaft Knurling on Taper???

Mr. Wizzard

Well, i now have something i am quite inexperienced with, to do. I'm not a lathe guy, but sometimes I can fake it pretty good. So far, not had to CNC knurl anything. Now i have a new job.

-1018 steel

-wiper motor shaft

- #96 Class 1 straight knurl over 19.5 degree taper

- Haas GT-10 lathe

I already did a search and found some basic information that will help me out, but i'm looking for a little bit more.

- Anyone done similar knurling have any advice?

- How do you check the finished part?

- Where can i find the spec on this type?

This will be mating with another part that I will not be making. Are there "gages" for this kind of work, or some other way to check it?

TIA, i know you guys will help me out!!

[ 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Wizzard ]

It's 9.75 degree taper from centerline, total of 19.5 degrees. Larger diameter is 0.437". The lenght is 0.340" Don't know if that makes a difference, but i wanted to add some details.

thanks, for the reply.

And, yeah, waiting for the "engineers" to get me detailed specs on this type of knurl and a mating part rolleyes.gif

I did something similar years ago. We used a woodruff style thread tool and cnc milled them in a fixture that was purpose built to hold the shaft and index as needed. We used gages supplied by the customer. You could have a gage wire edm'd once you have the specs.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been able to track down what we think is the answer, with the help of Accu-Trak tooling. It appears to be a DIN spec wiper shaft to DIN 72783. I'm guessing that nobody felt like researching it and just threw something on the print cause the part looked knurled.

I found this link and I'm pretty sure this is the route we're going to take.

http://www.boeni-ag.com/flash/video/v2D1.swf

Check it out, it's pretty sweet!