Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Restmill with containment boundry

JWalthall

Is there a way to not cut the containment boundry when using surface restmill on a male surface. I am trying to machine a male part using the surface restmill. My proceedures are as follows.

Using a solid model for the finished part and drive surfaces

Created a solid for use as my stock body. ( cylinder shape)

Performed two facing toolpaths to create flat areas. Ran verify and then created a STL for my new stock model

Using the STL as my stock and the picking the surfaces that I want to use as my drive I get a toolpath that machines out to infinty.

If I create a containment boundry and tell MC to machine to the inside of the boundry I get the toolpath that I want but also MC machines the contaiment boundry.

Why does MC try to machine this boundry when (A) it is not a surface and I am using a surface routine. and (B) if the containment boundry is outside of any material why does MC think it needs to machine this when I am using restmilling toolpath.

Is it too much to think that when using restrough I should be able to pick my drive surfaces define my rough stock give it a border that says do not go outside of this using this diameter of tool and cut everything that you can using this tool.

I have see this done in Edgecam and it works good . Can this be done in MC if so what are the proceedures ? or is there a way to tell MC not to cut the containment boundry?

Thanks,

JW,

Don't know what to tell ya because it stays inside the containment in the surf rest rough toolpath I wrote and I can adjust how far I want the tool to stay away from the containment.

There are quite a number of variables here, you said that you are using a STL file as well as surfaces to drive the toolpath. It may be setting up a conflict that is overriding the containment.

Running - McamX4 MU3 & McamX5 Beta