Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T New Wire EDM

MetalMarvels

I would like to pick the collective brains in this forum. cool.gif It looks like we might be getting a new Mitsubishi FA20 wire EDM in the shop. Part of our purchase process is the creation of a Statement OF Work (SOW) - a Gov't contract - gotta do the paperwork. We have written into the SOW a requirement for a fully tweaked out post processor to use with MasterCam Wire and 40 hours of basic training for all in the shop. We also included an additional 40 hours of advanced training to be done in the future. We are also requiring the successful production of one of our more challenging parts prior to sign-off on the equipment. Since in the shop we have about 5 hours of playing with EDMs in terms of experience (which means NONE), are there any of those "lessons learned" about getting a wire EDM unit setup and operating with Mastercam that a total EDM neophyte could avoid the learning curve on? Beyond the obvious things like don't drop the slugs on the head........ We are purchasing the Mastercam Wire upgrade/post and the equipment from the same supplier - so we have ONE vendor to deal with.

Thanks biggrin.gif

I think your are making a wise decision going with Mitsubishi. I've had great luck dealing the the support of MC machinery http://www.mitsubishi-world.com/ .There consumable division is very competitive, this is where i get all my wire, power feeders and guides. They also have good training program. Mastercam supports mitsu very well with think like power setting and posts. What types of work holding are you planning on using? I recommend 3R System. For resin I use AmeriWater the have a good recycle program. You send them your used resin and they automatically send back new resin.

We were directed to 3R and are getting about $30K worth of tooling in a wide variety of formats since we never know what is next (essentially a prototype shop captive to the Air Force). I believe that the consumables supplier will probably end up being EDM Supply. The contracts folks are trying to meet their small business goals witht the resin cylinders .... will have to see on that one.

Thanks for the reply - particularly the website! smile.gif