Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Display in Backplot

PBoulanger

This has probably been covered before in the forum but my search didn't find anything.

In MC7.2, does anybody know if setting the holder dia. and shank dia. values in the tool definition dialog work in the backplot? And if they do, what did you do to get them to work? They don't seem to do anything for me. I can put any values in for the tool holder and tool shank diameters but the backplot display never seems to change. I've tried different tool types and setting the tool appearance to plain, fluted or shaded with no success.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Thanks for the tip Ken but I tried both custom and auto types in the Display Parameters/Tool Appearance, no go. I even created an MC7 file for the tool shape I want and directed the Tool filename in the Define Tool/Parameters to that file but the scale of the tool displayed was all out of wack with the geometry and the holder. Does anybody know how the tool parameters, tool holder and tool shape files are related?

Still searching for a solution.... confused.gif

There are two ways to display tools in the V7 backplot:

1. Auto. Uses Flat, Ball, and Bull shapes only. uses tool diameter, and overall tool length values. Bull nose rads should show correctly. Holder is possibly based on Mtoolsholder.mc7, but scales according to tool diameter.

2. Custom. Uses the MC7 file named under Tool Parameters, Tool filename. These tools are drawn up with a standard 1 unit rad. The file scales according to the specified tool diameter. Length remains in proportion to the rad - the same scale factor is applied. Again, holder is possibly based on Mtoolsholder.mc7, but scales according to tool diameter. Also, the holder is placed according to the overall tool length, not what is drawn in the custom Mc7 file.

Plenty of work has gone into the 'Auto' tool display mode in the upcoming V8.1 release. A cross section for complex tool shapes is created based on input values. The holder display remains unchanged. Fans of 'Verify' will also be pleased to learn that these complex tool shapes will also be supported in the Standard Verify mode.

deftool.gif

[This message has been edited by Dave Thomson (edited 12-06-2000).]

Thanks Dave. I've tried all sorts of things but no success. As the line goes from that great holiday classic, I've "puzzled and puzzled till my puzzler was sore...". I guess what you're saying is that I should upgrade to MC8 and wait for the 8.1 release if I hope to see custom tools display properly. I'm not sure if that's going to be a good enough reason in itself to squeeze the dollars out of the bean counters, but I can add it to the list of reasons why we should upgrade to V8.

Thanks again,

Peter

• 2 months later...

I have Vers. 8.1. I need to tell my set-up people how long to hang there tools out. With the part skewed at an angle, the tool holder dia. will infuence the length that the tool must hang out. Is there a way to back-plot the actual holder dia.?? (not a scaled one ??)