Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Whadaya think?

Michael Reynolds

Hi All! I'm really glad this new forum was created for all of us who teach. Here's an example of one of my tests (projects), please let me know what you think. A precursor - I teach the software, but ALSO design & manufacrure. These two things are NOT specific to mcam. So here's how I do it. I give them a "product designers" specs, and let them use mcam to design the part(s), program them, and PRODUCE them. Here is an example:

Tooling Technology

MT241

10 week lab project

Team members: Joe Mathews, Robson Ries, Jeff Galloway

Directions: Below you will find an engineers’ request for a product to be designed and manufactured. You must follow all of his/her institutions (constraints), but you are responsible for choosing your own tooling & materials, as well as the initial and final design. This engineer specifies that the due date (for all finished parts) is March 30th. Additionally, you must work as a team to ensure this date is met. It is suggested that all facets of this project be broken into tasks, and each team member is assigned responsibility for accomplishing those tasks. The project will be graded as a whole, in that all members will earn the same grade. However, for each lab and/or lecture missed, individual team members will loose 5 points from their grade.

Assigned Machine - Harrison:

Project - Design & build 16 C collet stop systems

Design constraints:

1. Material – must be relatively wear resistant & have a relatively medium machinability rating.

2. Appearance/design – must be interchangeable with all 16C collets (see id thread specs for 16C collets).

3. Fits & tolerances – all threads must be class 4. All other non-mating features to be +/-.010.

4. Required quantity - 7

Manufacturing constraints:

1. MasterCAM must be used to design & program this project. Additionally, the Harrison/Miyano lathes must be the primary machine tools used to produce these parts. However, you may use peripheral machine tools such as the Prototracks, Hardinge T/R & Harrison lathe, etc. to perform secondary tasks.

2. Choose the most efficient tooling available to you.

3. Choose the most economical material (1st week)

Grading breakdown: (Name:______________________)

Appropriate design (25 pts possible) – pts awarded __________

Material choice (5 pts possible) – pts awarded__________

Manufactured to specs (30 pts possible) – pts awarded__________

Finished parts (40 pts possible) – pts awarded__________

Lab/lectures missed - minus__________

5 week lab grade ________

Whadaya think?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike R.