Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2 vs 4 flute cutters

Rob Holowack

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would tend to favor the 2 flute because they offer better chip evacuation and being that you are machining wax that has a tendency to build up any way, go with 2.

JM2C

I agree with James. I machine a lot of models out of wax. 4 fluters build up extremely fast. I do, however, strongly suggest buying an engraving tool. That would be the best way. Are you worried about the taper that the cutter would leave. Do not worry. Even if you go .05 deep in the part, it will look great. You can even get engravers with a 1 degree taper made.

FYI DIXI do some pretty good carbide 'D' bits, which I quite often use for plastic. personally I prefer a 60 degree bit.

I have found that there is often a problem with 'burring' at the bottom of the grove when engraving plastic with a pointed bit, the solution is to very slightly stone the tip blunt to make a flat bottomed tool, not enough so it shows, just enough to make sure the swarf if fully severed from the parent material.

Also, when using an engraving bit take care what font you use, dont try using a filled or bold font (ie anything that you may be temped to machine with a pocked toolpath) with a pointed bit, stick to the simple fonts that you can easilly engrave with contour toolpaths. If you want the 'fancy' fonts then you must use a flat bottomed bit, which as already mentioned are easilly made with 'heavier' stoning, but be prepared to have to experiment in order to get it to look right.