Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids or not?

Michael Reynolds

Hi All! I just got the ok to upgrade to v9 (when it becomes available), and am wondering if buying the solids package with it is worth it.

Don't get me wrong, since I've started to use solids, that's pretty much all I draw in. However, in a teaching environment, I only have so much time to devote to mastering mastercam. I have only 3 classes that use it, but only one pure mcam class. I really don't think I could get students to the level of solids (no pun intended) in just 15 weeks without loosing alot of the basics. Remember, I want them to be proficient in all that they do.

The other 2 15 week classes are not focused on mastercam, but rather on cnc set ups, advanced hand programming, and the last one is a fixture design class. Remember, there are alot of topics to cover in both of these courses, and we merely use mcam to machine the fixtures n parts they design.

I guess I'm asking what you all think the learning curve is from wireframes to solids. If I thought I wouldn't have to spend much time on teaching solids in a fixture design class, I'd consider doing it.

More info: the pure mcam class is 15 weeks long, 2 lecture hours, 3 lab hours, last week is finals. Additionally, the labs are devoted to actually machining the part.

The other 2 classes are the same with the exeption of the labs being 8 hours per week.

Whadaya think??

Thanks for all your valualbe input!

Mike R.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Michael Reynolds ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would think that Jug/Fixture Design would be the perfect class to intruduce SOlids. Generally you're working with prismatic parts for the most part right> Also you can model clamps, screws, bolts, etc... very easily. We spend about 4 sessions or 16 hours on it, and really the basics are covered in 2-3 hours of lecture. The rest of the time, they are modeling/asking questions. Even if you cannot fully devote the time you would like to SOlids, it would still be valuable for the to have the exposure to a lower to lower mid-range level solid modeler. (High -End being UG, Pro/E, CATIA, etc..., Mid-Range being Solid Edge, Solid Works, Inventor, etc...)

• 2 weeks later...

I instruct users from all skillsets and industries. The Solids course we offer is two days, 8 hrs/day. That is more than enough time to cover most of the solids information to get them started. I agree that every student should be exposed to solid modeling. It is the design method which is quickly becoming the only method used in high-end CAD packages. Mastercam's parasolid kernel is the same used by other systems so using it will also provide a basis of knowledge in those other systems. It is far easier to design using Solids, than trying to develop multi-surface parts. smile.gif I've programmed customer parts from design to code in a matter of minutes when it would have taken much longer using surfaces or wireframe. smile.gif Have fun with it. Your enthusiasm will trigger enthusiasm in your students. smile.gif

Thanks for all your replies! I've put in a req for v9 level 3 + solids. I'll tell ya, though, I'm not gonna let my students use the solids stuff until they THOUROUGHLY understand the rest. Just like I wouldn't let them touch the surfacing things until they really have a firm grip on all of the fundamental stuff.

I've seen too many people who jump into the "cool stuff" before teaching the basics. Students come out thinking that they know just about all of it, but when you give them a project that they have to start from scratch, they're lost. Kinda like teaching CNC programming/operation to someone who doesn't know manual machining. Fundamentals first...

Thanks for the replies, and thanks fer listening!!

Mike R.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The analogy(sp?) I like to use is "Where would a tent be if it had no poles, or if the poles were wrong?

We teach Wireframe and Surface Modeling first so that they get a grasp on the fundamentals and also so they can appreciate the speed and simplicity of Solids. There are still some instances that I use surface modeling because Solids can't do something so it's very important to be familiar with surface/wireframe modeling.

JM2C