Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ Temp Help

Tony

There are so many Mold /Tool/Die makers out of

work, That now you can get them through

Temp help services.

Our Management loves it,"Use them and lose them"

only when you need them,no strings attached.

"What's Next" I ask?

Send all the work somwhere else and then service it with temp help?

As our Jr moldmaker put it as he was let go

"I'm going to Kill my highschool guidance councilor" jokingly of course..

As an instructor with a college here in Canada, I see many students that have worked for temporary employment agencies.

There is nothing worse that observing a person who has six or eight years of this under is belt – what a way to spend ones life!

In Canada, we have to go through the collect/remit hassle for virtually everything.

No longer is it beneficial for a small business employer to hire full-time employees for the sheer grief of Employment insurance, Canada pension plan, company benefit plans, and the collection/ remittance of federal income tax.

Many machine shops around me will only employ though temporary services - since it allows for productive work without the added baggage of government BS.

The government created has this mess – I don’t believe industry to be the culprit here.

This is only my spin on the subject – maybe it’s unique to Canada, or worse, this is catching on in the USA as well.

Regards, Jack

Tony

I definitely have seen what you are talking about. As a matter of fact, we put out a request for a temp to take up the slack for one of our guys who is out after a car accident and ALL of the info sheets we got were from people who claimed toolmaking experience.

It should be noted that we needed a CNC machine operator, not a machinist or A/R guy.

We interviewed a few guys and have had one of them on for a couple of weeks now; he is doing OK [although I'm not so sure about his "tool and die" credentials] but I have to feel bad for him; I'm sure that it is not easy for a professional machininst to be relegated to the status of "the temp guy."

I hope I don't join him anytime soon.

C

There are some advantages to being a mercinary machinist - go where the work and the money is...

This is how the construction trades operate so whay not extend it into manufacturing? Call up the local union office, order up 2 machinists, one painter and 3 assemblers.

The problem with "mercenary" machinists is that many jobs [meaning parts, operations, etc.] require "job-specific" or "historical" knowledge to properly execute. If you are doing "one-off" work or purely button pushing work, temps are OK, I guess; if you are doing repeat work or work that requires "teamwork" between employees, I vote "NO".

How many times a day does someone ask you "...how's your memory...?"

C