Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The best translator/format for import

kwolf

Hi,

We're going to buy new translation software. I have 2 questions:

1. Regarding faceting problems and tolerance issues what's the best file format to import and machine in MC? I think it is Parasolid , is it true?

2. In you opinion what's the best translation software for importing other CAD files ? We want to be able to use major CAD formats, ProE Catia SW.

We use MC v8.x and MC v9.

Thanks

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, with V9 you can use the Pro/E Translator that's built in (but an Add-on), and for CATIA, Moldplus makes a good translator I've had no problems with so far. The thing about the CatRead C-Hook is ist's ability to read the native MODEL file so no "exporting" is necessary. Also I believe they are either in the testing phases of supporting solids, or they now support solids meaning if there's a solid in the MODEL, you'll get a solid after the conversion. Since V8 you've been able to convert NATIVE SolidWorks and SOlid Edge files through File, Converters, Parasolid, then just change the drop down file type to the SW extention and you,re good.

I'm in the same boat as you re: what files traslator works best. I've had no problems with Parasolid files, I've had a couple of issues with SAT, and none with STEP. Step seems to be a good neutral format but it's translator costs money, so you may need to take that into consideration.

JM2C

quote:

Since V8 you've been able to convert NATIVE SolidWorks and SOlid Edge files through File, Converters, Parasolid, then just change the drop down file type to the SW extention and you,re good.

Thanks James! I didn't know about this, I've always saved as a Parasolid first then read into Mastercam. This will save me a wasted step.

I've had no problems with Parasolid or IGES files.

What's the difference between a translator and the file converters that already come with Mastercam? I've used some of these, DXF from Autocad seems to have some problems, ASCII was handy, SAT and IGES were OK if I remember right. I just clicked on STEP and I get a box across the bottom of the screen, "enter stepin access code" which I presume means more money if I want to use it. Certainly very handy to be able to read in all these file types from different CAD systems.

Hugh Venables.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...DXF from Autocad seems to have some problems...

It's main problems are not really problems at all. They are just unsupported entity types. Every "Neutral" format has these and shoudl be expected. They each have their plusses and minuses, they key is knowing what they are and what to do when you run up against it.

JM2C

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since V8 you've been able to convert NATIVE SolidWorks and SOlid Edge files through File, Converters, Parasolid, then just change the drop down file type to the SW extention and you,re good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Solidworks came out with 2003 PR2, you can no longer import SW directly. I have to export SW as a Parasolid, then import it to Mastercam. It still comes in clean as it used to, but we have to take the extra step to export now. The SW add-on Mastercam Direct no longer works either. I think something changed with the Parasolid end of things.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Lynn

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Since Solidworks came out with 2003 PR2, you can no longer import SW directly.

eeeeeewwwwwwwww! That's not cool. Thanks for the info. Did you pass this on to CNC Software? Thay should know about this if they don't already.

If I had to guess, it's probably a kernel issue.