Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Converting to WINDOWS XP

Mike S.

I have just installed a replacement an old WINDOWS 95 system with a new PC having WINDOWS XP and cant seem to get MASTERCAM to communicate. The MASTERCAM side looks OK but when I try to send the file it never appears on the screen of my PROTOTAK machine tool computer.

I already downloaded the XP upgrade from the MASTERCAM website and that seemed to go fine. I'm wondering if there is a parameter change required or something I'm missing. The cable is running off the serial port. The MASTERCAM screen has the COM1 port checked off. The computer is a new DELL 2350.

I can't ask an intelligent question since I don't have a clue why it isn't connecting. I'm hoping instead that someone had a similar problem and knows the process. Can you provide a step by step orocess checklist?

THANKS!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

First, has the machine communicated before? With that cable? Do you have the correct Baud Rate, Parity, Stop Bits, etc on the computer/MC side???

This is a good place to start. I'm sure the suggestions will start rolling in. Also, you may want to do a search in the forum for "Communication" or "Communications" and see what turns up.

That shoudl get you started.

HTH

Here's the likely problem: if it's running off COM1, sometimes windows will interrupt communications since it looks for a mouse on com1, even if you have a bus mouse.

If you put it on COM2, COM2 may be disabled if you have a modem (dial up connection) installed.

If you do not have a modem, go into the computer start up SETUP screen, and make sure com2 is enabled.

You can buy a $15 serial checker at radio shack, which has lights that blink when the port is communicating. The first thing is to establish: is the port working? If so: what port number is it? (com 1 or 2) so you know which port to set in Mastercam. It's all down hill from there.

Where is your dealer? He might charge $250 to get this going, but that's cheaper than you spending 20 hours of company time, plus lost production, plus Pepcid, plus the poor work environment you'll create by all the cursing, etc. biggrin.gif These problems can be very challenging, and there's no substitute for having done it hundreds of times.

[ 12-10-2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]