Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Object Linking and Embedding

MBMX

I am looking for some kind of OLE functionality in Mastercam. Here's what I'm trying to do and why.

I make MOT packs for each machining operation that consist of a Drawing (made in Mastercam), a quality/check sheet (Microsoft Excel), a tooling/setup sheet (Microsoft Excel), and a part count sheet (Microsoft Excel). It is sometimes necessary to put a drawing on the check sheet or setup sheet to detail a check, or a specially grinded insert, etc.

Up until recently I would preview a hardcopy, then use the "print screen" key on the keyboard to paste the bitmap image to the sheet in Excel. But resizing the image would often result in pixelation or a crappy image.

The shop recently purchased Autocad LT wich enables me to make the sketch and copy it directly into Excel. I would like to keep consistency and use Mastercam to make these drawings though, if it's at all possible.

I've searched high and low throughout Mastercam and I have been unable to find anything like this, but anyone out there knows about this, please let me know.

P.S. If there is no functionality of this type at this point in time, does anyone know of Mastercam's plans to add this in future releases?

quote:

Up until recently I would preview a hardcopy, then use the "print screen" key on the keyboard to paste the bitmap image to the sheet in Excel. But resizing the image would often result in pixelation or a crappy image.

The shop recently purchased Autocad LT wich enables me to make the sketch and copy it directly into Excel. I would like to keep consistency and use Mastercam to make these drawings though, if it's at all possible.

Two possibilities suggust themselvs to me.

Possiblity 1:

- Convert the .MC9 to a .DWG and attach that to the spreadsheet. This is the simplest way.

Possibility 2:

- Install a postscript printer in Windows that is configured to print to file. Apple PS printers generally expect .EPS files to be sent to them, so they are a good bet. In XP Pro I had good results with the Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS.

- Screen-Next Menu-Plot, set WinDriver to 'Y' and select the print-to-file printer from above.

- Specify a file name with an .EPS extention.

- Insert the resulting file into Excel.

Possibility #1 is simple, but dosn't necessarly offer the kind of control you might want, and it cannot output toolpath images without a lot more work. Possibility #2 is a little more work, but offers a much finer level of control and can also (if you use the graphical setup sheets) output toolpath images.

You could also try using something like Corel Draw to read in HPGL plot files generated by MasterCAM, then insert those images into Excel. That, frankly, seems like way too much work.

MBMX,

There is a possibility that others have not mentioned yet. Mastercam has a built-in Setup Sheet. This allows the user to print the geometry along with toolpath information and part center with text that can describe what it is you are doing with said piece. You can also produce a hardcopy of the tool list, or if you prefer, an Operations list with diagrams of the types of tools used. The Setup Sheet is found at the bottom of the Options menu of "right-click" dialog box from the Operations Manager or from the NC Utilities menu in Mastercam. HTH cheers.gifbiggrin.gif

[ 01-06-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]