Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Robot Post for Fanuc or Motoman

Roger Peterson

Depending on the configuration of a robot arm, it may take more than 5 programmable axes in order achieve the desired tool motion, particularly if the first member from the floor is a rotation about the base (rather than a linear axis).

Chahe from CAP Technologies has worked on a Motoman post. He may jump in here with more details.

Oh - I should mention that a rule set can be used to control additional axes on more standard machines - e.g. A W-Axis quill along Z. Also, I've written a post for a 6-Axis ultrasonic cutter where the machine is a standard 5-Axis articulating head machine, with the 6th axis as a rotational wrist used to keep a non-rotating ultrasonic blade aimed along the direction of the cut.

[ 01-07-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

At a company I used to work for we used Fanuc six axis robots mounted with tool changers to do second operations on large blowmolded parts. Worked great. Programming time was mutch too long for short run parts though. Programming the three point arcs was the biggest problem. A customer of ours is looking into doing something similar but all of their parts would be relatively short run so they need a mutch better way to probram than with the teach pendant. Dave could you send me some contact info for Chahe?

Thanks,

Roger,

We have written a post processor for Motoman robots. We had spoken in October but I had not contacted you since then because we were testing the codes and exploring robot trajectory accuracies. Robots behave quite different than CNC machines.

Our preliminary testing is complete and a version of the product is ready for the market. We have developed an alorithm that converts Mastercam NCI (5axis maximum data) to 6axis robot code. We did not want to release the post without proper testing on actual robots.

I will contact you to give further details.

Regards

Chahe