Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G98 / G99 in drill cycles

BK

I am trying to get my posts to use the G98 / G99 to control the Z clear when doing canned cycle operations. Does anybody have any good information or a link they can steer me to regarding this? The post I am working on works okay but it forces a G80 with a hard Z clear value. This posts okay but it uses this clear value on the next hole in the database so it is using the "big" z clear on two holes instead of just one. Yeah I know, big deal right!

Anyway I was hoping someone has some ideas on how to trigger this in the post.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bob

I started with the mpsubrep post that does the work offset with sub calls. It works well but it either codes out a G98 or G99 at the start of the cycle and that's it. It never switches when you change the jump height. Is there something that needs to be re-initialized so that is will see the clearance height change?

Any time the "Initial position" Z changes, the .NCI file goes through a new drill cycle (which has to cancel the previous one first). To get around this you have to put in some conditional flags into the pcanceldc and pdrill(ppeck, etc.) cycles to check for new op_id's. If you're not VERY comfortable editing posts, I'd stay away from this one. It's REAL time consuming.

Thanks gstephens for the info. I can see there is definitely an advantage to the software functioning this way, such as starting a drill / tap op at a low z level and being able to control the retract value and then be able to move to a higher "R" and clear plane. I was just trying to get rid of the one extra move to the clear plane when you edit the jump height. Hey it still puts out awesome code!

Thanks again,

cheers.gif

Bob