Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary table / Indexer

chris m

Folks

We are looking into purchasing our first CNC rotary table / indexer and I am fishing for impressions, experiences, anecdotes, etc.

We are looking at a 160mm unit for doing very high precision work milling slots 180 degrees apart in aluminum parts. We will be running on an Okuma machining center that has the Read-Write/Get-Put option but not a real 4th axis thus we want to communicate with the rotary unit through the RS-232 of the machine.

The manufacturers that have come in to see us so far are Haas, SMW Systems, and Tsudakoma.

If any of you have input on these manufacturers or any others I'd be very interested in what you have to say.

Thanks

C

I have a few Haas indexers, one of which is on an Okuma. If you don't need 4-axis simultaneous motion ( you're just positioning with the rotary ), then this works fine. The programs do command the rotary to index via an M-code. The only thing the rs232 port will do for you is allow you to upload the index positions rather than typing them in at the indexer. Either way it's something you only do once at setup. If you only have two positions why make things more complicated?

If we go with the Haas product we know we'll need to use the M-code method, the Tsudakoma and SMW will work with the machine.

I definitely like the RS232 better than the M-codes because its one less thing to forget about or screw up when setting up; also less likely to get crossed up if you have to bail out in the middle of a program.

We are looking to hold about .0002" position from one side to the other on about a 2.5" diameter; are you guys making anything fussy like this? I am concerned about long-term reliability.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Here's one area where I can say I enthusiastically like HAAS. Their Rotary Equipment. In the past where I've used it, I've never encountered any problems, positionally, rigidity or otherwise. Their 5C collet rotary axes are pretty bitchin for small stuff. Though they may not be as fast as the Tsudakoma or Nikken, they definitely warrant a look.

JM2C

i have an okuma 4020 with 4 axis option

we use a kitagawa table it is a very nice piece of kit and allows indexing and simultaneous cutting

we have had many jobs of late coming in because we have this technology... nery rigid very accurate and mastercam works great with it

i know it is alot of money but a control upgrade and a matched table is the way to go ours paid for itself on the first job and u open alot of doors

cheers.gif

Haas is very good for the money...

You dont need 4th axis drive board unless

you have some complex cams or somthing.

I have done some simultaneous milling

using m21 to index... just need a lot

of feed and dwell tweakin. But very

good just for front, side, back

positioning

Tony G

The place I used to work used the Tsudokomas as 4th axis(parallel to "X") on Mazaks. Worked real well, with indexing in the program(A axis). They only used them for positioning, with a tooling ball being swept at each position for a wcs change. Don't remember anything quite that touchy for position though.