Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setdir c-hook

Neal Z

I have 2 PC's setup on a network, when I use the c-hook on 1 pc to set the directories for my work

that I'm doing, it effects the other PC. Because if I do something on the other PC, those toolpaths will go there also. It doesn't matter which PC you use the c-hook on, the other will follow. Is there a path I need to change in the system config page? Any ideas?

Neal,

Try this

Shutdown MC on both computers.

Start MC on computer #1

*** Don't start MC using a shortcut. ***

Start MC on computer #1 by doing,

(Windows) Start button, select Run and type in the command line -> C:MCAM9MILL9.EXE

(I assume that is the folder MC is installed in)

Now do the same startup procedure on computer #2

Now alter the MC9 file path using SETDIRS on computer #1 to something like C:MCAM9COMMON

Go over to computer #2 and do a file get.

Where is computer #2 looking for the MC9 files?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think they have Mastercam installed in ONE location on the network and both users are accessing the same .exe (which I would never reccommend BTW)

The files are going where they should. But this wierd, If I open the chook in one and set the directories where I want, then open up the chook in the other pc, the path will be the same. We have Mastercam installed on C in each PC. And I have it config to look at the C for the dll's.

I have it set to look at the network for these types of files, MC9, NC, NCI, TL9, and PST's.

quote:

-------------------------------

I followed your procedure for startup. I set the first pc to look for something on the C drive. Then I went over to the second to get a file, it went to the network which is O.

-------------------------------

So... You are telling me that ->

If you start MC on each computer NOT using a shortcut - using SETDIRS on computer#1 does NOT affect computer #2

But, if you DO start MC on each computer USING the desktop shortcut, and then use SETDIRS on computer #1, these setting are now also acitve on computer #2 ?

Roger I want to clear up what I have posted. This morning I went thru and did the startup both ways with Mastercam on my PC's. It doesn't matter which way you open Mastercam in relationship to using the c-hook. Sorry about that..........

If you run the chook in one machine (set up your path) and go and open up the chook in the other machine, the path that shows is the same as what you just set up in the other PC.

quote:

If you run the chook in one machine (set up your path) and go and open up the chook in the other machine, the path that shows is the same as what you just set up in the other PC.

I belive I finally see what you are asking about.

When you run SETDIRS on computer #2 the default path and settings on the SETDIRS dialog is what you had previously setup using SETDIRS on computer #1.

Yes, you are correct.

When you run SETDIRS it makes a SETDIRS.PRM file to "remember" the settings,

so that next time your run SETDIRS those previous settings are the default.

So in your case, if your "NC Parameters (PRM)" path is set to the same (network)

folder on both computers, each will see the same SETDIRS.PRM

This does not inhibit the use of SETDIRS, since the SETDIRS seting only affect the current session of MC.

You can verify this by doing this (on one computer)...

Start MC mill and run SETDIRS and point the MC9 path "somewhere else".

Now start another session of MC mill and do a File, Get

This session of MC is not looking at the "somewhere else" folder.

quote:

So in your case, if your "NC Parameters (PRM)" path is set to the same (network)

folder on both computers, each will see the same SETDIRS.PRM

Screen, Configure, Files (tab), and under Data Paths highlight 'NC Parameters(PRM)'

Make sure that the "Selected item's Data Path" is not pointing the the same physical

folder from each computer on the network.