Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Auto calculate" in text boxes?

Paul McGarr

This has been bothering me for some time now...

Usually, in a parameter page, I can make simple mathmatical calculations directly in a text box in Mastercam. For example, I can type -.375+.03125 in the depth field and Mastercam will automatically convert that to -.34375.

It seems to me that there are several less common parameter pages that this does not work. Why is this? It seems pretty simple to fix if it is a bug, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

A couple places off the top of my head are in the "depth cuts" dialog box for surface machining, and in the "helix bore" dialog box. I know there are many more, but I'm not sure I remember where.

I will start writing these places down so if someone want's to know, I'll have a better list.

Does this lack of consistancy bother anyone else?

BTW: Mastercam Version 9 SP1 Mill Level 3 with Solids

Thanks,

Paul McGarr

Jay,

1st...

Surface - Rough - Pocket - Rough Pocket Parameters - Cut Depths...

Select the "absolute" radio button and try to do some math in the minimum and maximum depth fields. It does not work. Oddly enough, it does work on the "incremental" side

2nd...

Circle Toolpaths - Helix Bore - Helix Bore Parameters - Any text box...

It does not work here either. There is a validation problem here also. When the text box loses focus, the entry should be validated to make sure it is an acceptable entry. This is not happening until changing tabs. I just noticed that the calculations will take place if you select another tab, then go back.

Dangerous!

This kind of thing has been around for quite some time, and happens in many, many places.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Paul McGarr

Paul,

What you have described does not occur here in our office. Even with using V9SP1 as well as V9.1. If you e-mail me the file you're experiecning this with, we can see whether it's something going on with the file, or with your system. Do you have all the latest apps patches and things installed with V9SP1? That could've been something that was found after the release fo the SP1 patches and they fixed it with a follow-up patch. HTH biggrin.gif