Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multi start threading

k_barry

Hi

I am trying to cut a 4 start thread.

In the thread cut parametrs dialogue box when I select the NC code format as Longhand, the number of starts field is active and I can add 4 to this.

When I change the NC code format to Canned the Number of starts field goes dull.

I thought this may be a post problem but I had a quick look (not knowing much about posts) and find the variables listed below, so I assume my post does support multi start threads.

thd_vlen = thdlead/ nstarts

fmt Q 15 thdfrsts #Save initial value of 'thdfirst'

fmt R 2 thdfinish #G76 thread finish allowance

fmt Q 2 thdlasts #Save initial value of 'thdlast'

pg76nstart #G76 threading, for multiple starts

if old_new_sw = zero, pg76old

else, pg76new

nstart_cnt = nstart_cnt + one

if nstarts <> one & nstart_cnt <> nstarts,

pbld, n, *sgcode, thd_dirx, thd_dirz, e

I am using an Okuma OSP 7000L which uses G71 as its thread cycle and Q is the number of starts.

The Post I am using is basically a slightly modified MPLOSP7C.PST which came with my V9.

Any help would be appreciated

Kevin Barry

Kevin, I recently cut a 3 start thread using the MPLFAN.pst and I had no problem with the start setting. When I loaded the MPLOSP7C.pst the start setting was gray but my 3 was still there. I posted the op and it looked OK although I'm not that fimilar with OSP controls. I'm no post writer so I can't help you, you may want to load the MPLFAN.pst, set your parameters, then switch to the MPLOSP7C.pst. It worked on my V9 lathe.

Mark Monica

Kevin,

Lathe posts have some "enable this" options,

Check you your PST for these Post Numbered Questions ->

3050. Enable canned thread equal depths? y

3051. Enable canned thread equal area? y

3052. Enable canned thread multiple starts? y

3053. Enable canned thread anticipated pulloff? y

IF your post does support these features you can enable the options on the dialog box in MC.

Thanks Roger, the "enable this" options for threading were disabled and it now produces code for the 4 starts.

It does not use the Q for the number of starts but it produces 4 separate G71 cycles with a W move a distance equal to the pitch in between each cycle.

This should work OK although I am not sure if Okuma use W as incremental Z.

I will try it shortly when our lathe has finished this current run.

To Mark, I did try using the 'Longhand' option and entering the 4, then changed to the 'Canned' option but it did not post the 4 starts.

Thanks again