Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I tried searching the SDK and this forum, but I'm either a bad searcher or the function doesn't exist to detect flats. I found the auto_detect_flats function. However, not only do I not understand how that is different than the detect flats function, I also can't get that check box to work the way I expected when I manually select it. I have a part, that when I use the Detect Flats button it generates 3 different flats. But when I use the auto detect check box, and regenerate, toolpaths are not generated for those flats.

Is there a function that does the same thing as the Detect Flats button? And/or am I using the auto detect check box incorrectly?

I have not tried this yet..

rolleyes.gif

code:

/**

* @par Purpose:

* Determine if a surface is planar (flat)

* @return TRUE = planar

* @param[out] plane_norm if planar, this is the vector perpendicular to the plane

* @param[out] plane_pt if planar, this is a point on the plane

*/

DllImpExp MC_BOOL is_surf_planar(surf_type *psf, p_3d plane_norm, p_3d plane_pt);

Midwest, if you are referring to me, I don't know what you mean by "absolute".

Takashi thanks for your input. That may be necessary.

Pete, I still didn't really get my questioned answered. The "Detect Flats" button in the Cut Depths tab doesn't appear to be a function in the SDK. But I've been (thankfully) wrong before. Did I miss it somewhere? And if I did, why is the auto detect flat option available? And if this is the only option, how is this function different than detect flats?

Thanks.

I went ahead and turned on and off the auto detect flats option in my code. I didn't know how to put the images on here. But I can add them to the FTP if anyone needs to see my result.

With the same part in the same orientation and setup, with auto detect on it seems as though the toolpaths are adjusted so that one lands right at the flat on my surface. Without auto detect on it only steps down based on the max stepdown that I specified. Please tell me if this is incorrect? I assume that you would never exceed the max stepdown that is specified, the auto detect just adjust the steps (above the flat?) so that one of them exactly touches the flat itself???

If this is how this is supposed to work, I think my questions are answered.

-------

"...Pete, I still didn't really get my questioned answered. The "Detect Flats" button in the Cut Depths tab doesn't appear to be a function in the SDK. But I've been (thankfully) wrong before. Did I miss it somewhere? And if I did, why is the auto detect flat option available? And if this is the only option, how is this function different than detect flats?..."

-------

arenner,

Sorry about the confusion. No, that particular function is not available in the C-Hook API.