Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d Contour not tangent to line

n_tydingco

Hey folks,

Using X4 MU3 to generate a 3-d contour (chained a single, sloping line entity.) During the verification, it appears that the point of tangency does not shift as the part starts up the slope. I tried to attach the file, but received an error, so here are some of the settings:

Contour (3D)

Cutter Comp (Left); Type (Wear); Tip Comp (Tip)

Max depth var. (.0005)

Lead in/out: Tangent (50%, 50%, 90deg, .05 Helix ht.)

I can e-mail the file if needed.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

-Norbert

[email protected]

Hey folks,

Using X4 MU3 to generate a 3-d contour (chained a single, sloping line entity.) During the verification, it appears that the point of tangency does not shift as the part starts up the slope. I tried to attach the file, but received an error, so here are some of the settings:

Contour (3D)

Cutter Comp (Left); Type (Wear); Tip Comp (Tip)

Max depth var. (.0005)

Lead in/out: Tangent (50%, 50%, 90deg, .05 Helix ht.)

I can e-mail the file if needed.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

-Norbert

[email protected]

Project, Project, Project

3D contour does not maintain tangency, it only follows the line

Jim, Thanks :) The user tells me he used to be able to do it in V9, but I tried the same thing and he is incorrect. So, Project it is!

Technically, it "can" be accomplished with a 3D contour BUT, you'd need to do it as a project first and save the tool path as geometry, then chain the saved geometry and a 3D contour could "appear" to respect a 3D surface.

I've done it before, theoretically... ;)

If the contour slopes in Z as it travels along the X axis, then you can use Xform Offset Contour while in the Front Cplane (looking at your profile side on). Offset upwards by the tool corner rad. Then back in the Top Plnae, you can 3D contour the new profile with Tip Comp set to Centre and the Depth set to zero.

Backplots great but never ran it on a machine!