Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas TL series lathe

Mick

Where I used to work they had a new tl3w. I liked the lathe at first but it had chatter problems. From what i've read this is only a problem with the larger lathes. The tailstock was junk also, wouldn't repeat & pushed when you had a larger part in it. Make them let you run some test parts on the spefic size lathe you wish to buy before committing. We ran test parts on a tl2 for us and it worked great, the 3W was a big difference than the tl2 we test ran. Disappointing. A Haas tech said the machine was fine when we had them look at it and a coworker agreed. A few days later the same coworker said why is this chattering? I could've strangled him. The control & intutive system are very nice. Mastercam will work fine with it. I did the same as Derek, used longhand not canned cycles from mc. Research the spefic lathe you are looking at online. Overall the lathe was ok with work arounds but I think I would look elsewhere if I had it to do over.

We have a TL-2 here, as well. Great simple machine to get up and running quick. Like all the machine discussions go, Haas has it's purposes. Don't plan on roughing the crap out of 17-4 PH with it or you'll be disappointed. The IPS is awesome for being able to get something efficiently accomplished without having to spend time on the computer. I do half and half, here. If I don't want to bother on a simple part, I just use the IPS and start making chips. If you get something more complex, like the guys said already, MPMaster with a little tweaking works sweet for me. Start out posting long-hand, without the canned cycles and you can fly. When you get the time, the post can be "fixed" up to get the canned cycles running smoothly.

We also have a Haas GT-10, nice little guy for small parts. I do mean small parts. Very well priced and it will kick little things all day long.

Good luck to you.