Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNCing to Miss SMG

Hi we have an old 1989 SMG 3 axis mill with a Fanuc O-M controller we are really busy and our newer Haas cant keep up with our work load. I call her "Miss SMG" B) the guys at work told me that shes only ever been a drill press and yes the ways are still like new the pryer people didn't know how to make her dance! With a little hot wiring we now have her DNCing like a champ. I have always worked on newer CNC's and am not use to DNCing my question is how can I smooth her out she gets the job done but when HSMing its jerky our max braud band is 9600 and Ive got her at 9600. I tried just slowing the feeds and speeds down and loosening up the tolerances a bit but it just seems that its slower at the jerkiness. The finish is good but I think it can be better. Am I just expecting to much? Question number Two "Miss SMG" has an automatic oilier I forgot its brand I took the cover off its a simple motor that runs all the time I was wondering how to increase the amount of oil going to her ways as I think its a bit dryer than I like Ive drilled holes in the way covers and put plastic covers in them so I can oil the ways it every morning. Do we have to get a different oilier or can i adjust my old one? Monday I will get the name off the pump o yes the oilier also has a external handle that the oil pump keeps up. Thanks for all your time!

I think you are expecting too much with the DNCing, if it is not starving for code then the jerkiness is coming from the accell/decell parameters.

The oiler can normally be adjusted by the plunger screw in the thumb screw = more flow. However on a machine that old I would bet that you have plugged metering units (small brass fittings on the oiler manifold(s). You can try to clean them, (it never works IMHO), or just buy new ones, they have numbers on them for the flow check the numbers and order new ones.

Allan