Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Caxis drill and Caxis cross drill toolpath

sanfran

Can someone explain me the difference ? I took a look at the help file in Mastercam and it mentions one uses Axis substitution and the other one uses the C axis for the rotation type.

Does it mean that in Mastercam the toolpath will look exactly the same, but the posted G-code will be different ? If so why ?

I'm talking about both.

Thanks for the quick reply

It depends on what your trying to do generally its off of centerline, when programming the toolpath the software will automatically compensate for the tool dia. If its something that needs to be dialed in to a certain dia. then you can add a dia. offset so the tool can be compensated for. Or if you use alot of reground endmills you can have a dia offset so the actual dia. of the endmill can be input in the machine. There is several routes you can go it just depends on what you are doing and tolerances and tooling. Another thing to add to the above comments is if you are programming a machine w/ "Y" axis and you are drilling holes off centerline you will need to draw an arc to chain instead of a point or else the tool will always drill towards centerline.

It depends on what your trying to do generally its off of centerline, when programming the toolpath the software will automatically compensate for the tool dia. If its something that needs to be dialed in to a certain dia. then you can add a dia. offset so the tool can be compensated for. Or if you use alot of reground endmills you can have a dia offset so the actual dia. of the endmill can be input in the machine. There is several routes you can go it just depends on what you are doing and tolerances and tooling. Another thing to add to the above comments is if you are programming a machine w/ "Y" axis and you are drilling holes off centerline you will need to draw an arc to chain instead of a point or else the tool will always drill towards centerline.

How about on the machine ? Do I measure the length offset of the tool I am going to use for the caxis toolpath from Z0, like normal, or is it something different ?

Don't have a machine.. I'm just a student trying to understand how the actual application works.

What would be the difference between the manual or automatic presseter for the tool length offset ?

If you have a presetter it will attach to your machine by the chuck and it has a stylus that you touch your tools off to so that you can set your tool geometry for each tool. It will set your tools in all axis. Whether or not you have to manually input the data or if it automatically inputs it into your geometry offset page all depends on the machine. Do you have access to mastercam?