Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th Axis Countour Help Needed

micr0

I have a part (see attached) that has 3 features that are angled at 17.5deg relative to normal. I have a 4th axis VMC with a trunnion table (rotates along X)that I could do this on but I don't know how to start. Up until now all I've used the 4th for has been indexing and haven't done rotary contouring since MC V9. I started by trying one of the multiaxis tool paths and holy $*%$ there are too many options. I don't know where to start. I'd like to just run a contour/profile type tool path that allows the cutter to stay parallel to the side surface of the part but I haven't been able to get something that generates even a remotely usable tool path. I guess the first question is which tool path should I start with? I'm assuming MC can generate a tool path like this? Can someone at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

ADAPT PLATE 6-21-2011 .MCX-5

i dont see your attachment? but i'm guessing you're gonna want a curve toolpath. are you using a surface or wireframe to generate the path?

I tried to attach an .igs file and the server wouldn't accept it. I managed to attach an MCX5 file (hope it can be read). The part is a solidworks part imported as trimmed surfaces with wireframe.

I tried to attach an .igs file and the server wouldn't accept it. I managed to attach an MCX5 file (hope it can be read). The part is a solidworks part imported as trimmed surfaces with wireframe.

hmmmm...might be too big? try zipping it up and then sending?

Thanks Festus. I played around with the Curve tool path and finally got tool path I was looking for. It did expose a post issue that I've had before but I have usuable code.

Thanks again.

sorry i didn't get it for you faster... had to deal with customers all day!