Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sadly, a total newb kind of question...

Sorry to post such a goofy question but I have to ask anyway...

I took over the Lead position in my company's shop (including lead-programmer) a little over 3 years ago, and in that time I still had the services of the last lead-programmer on site (who moved on to engineering) so I didn't worry too much about any post-processor problems. Bad foresight, I know, but to make a long story somewhat shorter we've been so ridiculously busy that there just hasn't been time in the past 3 yrs for him to get me up to speed on PPs, and all of our PPS were pretty much settled nd working anyway so no real need to fiddle with things.

Fast forward to today...the former lead programmer came into the shop this morning to announce his leaving the company. He brought a bag of old Mcam manuals he'd been holding onto all this time; among them was the only post-processor manual we have...

...It's for Version 6.0 from Sept 97. :blink::lol:

Now for the dopey question: We're running Mcam X (not X2)...is the information in this old (ancient) manual relevant to Mcam X at all, or is it just a paperweight at this point? I'd like to get into PP development, mainly just to tweak some things. If this manual is useless, is there a version X manual to be had, and would I have to go through our Reps (who we haven't talked to in years) or can I get one from another online source?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

I'd like to get into PP development, mainly just to tweak some things.

If what your after is as you said, just to tweak some things, I don't think your going to need much more than this forum... plenty of peers willing to help.

Getting back in touch with your rep is a good idea in any case if you ask me. Let them know your situation and what your looking for (learning material) they should have some documentation to help you get on the right track.

Mcam X (not X2)

One thing I will say about the help on this forum is that most users are on the latest release (or within a couple releases). But you have made it over the V9 hump, and I don't think much has changed as far as posts between X and X5.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply, Keith. Yes, in perusing the boards for a couple years now I've seen a tremendous wealth of knowledge here and can't wait to tap into some of that. :)

I probably should've clarified myself somewhat...before I go touching anything that isn't exactly broken, I wanted to read through the manual while looking at some of our posts (without touching anything) just to familiarize and orient5 myself as to what I'm looking at...that's why I wanted to know if this older manual is at all relevant to today's versions of the software. I'm somewhat familiar with the layout & system of the post files just by watching the former guy play around with them for several years, but I never got my hands on the stick, so to speak. So before I go touching any of the shiny buttons, I just want to get the lay of the land.

Thanks again.

Rob.