Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

questions from a beginner

lisastudent

Hi. I have a few questions.

When do you use multipasses? how do you calculate what #'s to fill in for roughing and finishing and how much the spaces are?

when do you use computer compensation?

When do you use no compensation?

when to use lead in/out?

when to use break through?

when to machine face?

when to use depth cuts? how do you figure out max rough step, finish cuts and finish steps

when to use wallpasses?

I had to take a long break from school, and sadly I forgot alot of the basics.

Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

I never calculate anything, you just sort of get a feel for rough passes, (depending on) the cutter your using, how much (stock) to leave. Use cutter compensation (wear) for finishing (so the machinist has tolerance control). Remember the days when you couldn't re-gen surfaces? Or V6 posting and filter (running). Those days weren't that long ago. :D

What does this mean?

Ques tu fesais ????

When do you use multipasses? how do you calculate what #'s to fill in for roughing and finishing and how much the spaces are?

As an example, if you want to leave a finish cut of .010, set the parameters for 1 rough pass, spacing 0,

1 finish cut, spacing .010

For each additional roughing pass you want to make, add a pass number, and the spacing the offset you want.

when do you use computer compensation?

The difference between computer comp and wear comp, is that wear comp introduces the tool dia compensation,

which you would almost always want. If your doing a 2-d toolpath, there's little reason not to have it set to wear.

On 5 axis surfacing, you would probably want it set to computer.

When do you use no compensation?

When you want the toolpath to follow the exact geometry lines. Such as engraving.

when to use lead in/out?

Almost always, unless you want to rapid into your stock. Lead in/out with a linear line is also a must

for turning tool comps on and off correctly.

when to use break through?

Say your finishing a hole in a part. You will probably want the tool to feed though past the bottom of the stock to avoid having a lip at the bottom of the hole.

when to machine face?

The face milling toolpath is a real easy and relativly efficient way to rip the stock down to size.

when to use depth cuts? how do you figure out max rough step, finish cuts and finish steps

when to use wallpasses?

Most tools won't cut an entire part in one pass, therefor you need depth cuts. The step down you need depends on a multitude of factors.

I had to take a long break from school, and sadly I forgot alot of the basics.

Thanks so much!

Was it so long you forgot that A Lot is two words?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest newsero

The optimization of cutting conditions has been and still is an active area of research since Gilbert's (1950) first work in machining economics. Many concepts and optimization procedures have been developed since then to obtain optimum conditions, taking into account as many influencing variables as possible. However, the use of these techniques in machinability data base systems, NC part programming systems and process planning systems so far has been very limited, even though there is an urgent need for such a technique. Existing optimization schemes do not necessarily give optimum machining solutions. Several works reported in the literature restricted multi-pass problems to two-pass problem so as to simplify the solution method or to treat them as single-pass problems.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Hi Lisa.

Nothing beats experience, using Mastercam day in day out at the work setting. But you're a student, and those are good basic fundamental questions you ask. Important concepts to learn and fully comprehend.

I saw in another thread about HLE (home learning edition). I take it you've got X5 HLE on your computer at home.

Instead of giving input on the questions you ask, I would strongly suggest using the Help menu in Mastercam. Search for the questions you ask and read all about it. There's a wealth of information provided. Study the topics and practice. Create some geometry and experiment. Use backplot and verify to observe how things function. Backplot in the Top, Front, Side, and Isometric views to observe depth cuts, multi passes, lead in/out, etc. Go back in the toolpath dialog boxes and make some changes and observe again, etc.

Wish you well and Happy Mastercamming! B)

Then when you need some specific questions answered, let us know!