Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Removable Tailstock for HAAS TL-15, TL-25

Dear Colleagues,

Our workshop is equipped with dual-spindle HAAS TL-15 and TL-25 machines.

We have an ongoing project, where we need to think how to support a part using not a sub-spindle (custom-made toolholders restrict that geometrically) , but a tailstock, which shall be restraint to the sub-spindle by simple jaws. The problem is that sub-spindle is SERVO driven and if we will try to push the stock along Z axis with it, the HAAS conrol will display SERVO error. So, we need to apply a removable tailstock with some sort of spring, which will press a part and won`t press SERVO engine itself.

In this connection, could you help to find a reliable supplier of such tail-stock? Perhaps, there are even a special tool producer who have standard program of such tail stocks with spring?

By the way, we are in Europe, so companies located here are more preferable.

Thank you for any leads in advance!

Even a spring-loaded center will require some W-axis thrust to preload or contain the force of the spring; will this not generate the same error? Does Haas not have a "torque skip" or similar function that will allow you to move the W until a certain servo load is reached? This is how many sub-spindle machines ensure that the part is seated in the chuck before cutting off; I think it could also work for your situation. The problem, I think, is that the sub-spindle will not keep moving to "hold" pressure once that position has been reached, but a spring-loaded center may help on that account. I would call Royal Products or Hardinge and ask if they can help you.

C

You can't program a stub on the the part and have the sub-spindle grab onto that to be parted off later? Also I'd call HAAS applications directly. (805)278-1800 (I think) you might need a country code. I'm sure they might deal with this. ;)

Well, unfortunately, we can`t grab the part over a stub. We use a special tool-holder, where cutting inserts are placed, it is across stock surface completely. But, there is a hole on the tool holder for the reason to let spring-type live center come inside and press the stock.

The problem I have encountered is that it is difficult to find producer of live centers in Europe with reliable responsive engineering support, which can help to find good solution.

Aleks