Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rotary feed of conical parts

jplecan

I have a conical shaped part where I have to mill

all around the outer surfaces leaving a series of bosses. This will be done on a horizontal machine with a fourth axis rotary table which can be tilted manually. I want to rotary feed, cutting with the end of a bull nose tool, setting the tilt so the tool is normal to the conical surface. Has anyone had any success using Mastercam to program this or have any other ideas how to approach this ?

Thanks

Jim

My initial thought is to surface mill the entire thing, forget about trying to tile the part manually.

The only thing tilting will gain you is to be able to "Face" the top of the bosses and if there are no holes to drill normal to the surface, leave it flat and surface mill using a flowline.

Andrew, thanks for replying. Yes the bosses get

drilled so I will be using the tilt anyways. The part is 25" high and 45" dia. The sections of the part without bosses I can manually program easily enough. I will try breaking up areas that have bosses (they also have circumferential ribs and small .062 corner rads) into smaller sections and try surface milling them with the 3d methods.

Jim

From the sounds of the part, you may need to get the involvment of the Caimax 5AxMSurf Chook. I have looked at this and found it to be a better control of 5ax toolpaths than what is found inside of Mastercam. Sorry but I am going to have to refer you to your dealer.

One other thought is to setup a plane at the face of each boss and then machine the features independantly. Then with the part flat, mill the rest of the part.

25-48" with a manual tilt table?? Sounds exotic...