Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSS Ballnose in SS

303 is very easy to cut compare to 304, go with 60-70 SFM and a good feed , HSS can take a lot more feed than carbide at slow RPM

for 4 parts it will be OK but if you got more parts to do , go for a variable flute carbide, they outperform about anything on the market today

Thanks. I know carbide would be better but I just forgot to order one and I won't have time to get one. What kind of depth of cut do you think I could get away with with a 2 flute. Its just a 15mm rod 7 inches long.

I have to cut a radius down the center of a 303 SS shaft. I am going to surface it with a HSS ballnose. Its all I have and I only have 4 parts to do. It 5/16 diameter tool. Feeds and speeds anyone?

You're going to use a surface toolpath? That will take forever with a HSS.

Talk your boss into getting a $20 carbide ballnose, hell, have it sent next day air, and you will still save money.