Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 Chamfering holes for CSK all come out different. Why?

Larry Callahan

We have always had this issue with X2 SP1 and I don't know if it's us or a bug.

When trying to draw a 100 degree countersink on a solid we use the chamfer option. Solid distance and angle chamfer is the option we use.

I enter the distance and the angle. I can do 10 holes and get 4 different size countersinks. Why is that? I just did that on 8 identical holes a few minutes ago and I got wildly different countersink sizes and angles. It seems totally random.

Any thoughts? Should we be drawing countersinks for screws or rivets a different way? I resort some times to drawing geometry and doing a remove or something like that.

I'm using X5, and I don't really recolect how X2 differed. But in X5, you select the edge of the hole you want to chamfer, then it asks you which face the angle is relative to. You enter the angle and the distance. Works the same is V9 as in X5.

Yep, that's basically it but when I do that to multiple holes or even if I do them one at a time they turn our very different sizes and even different angles.

Are you sure you're selecting the right face? When you select the entity to chamfer,a box comes up as shown in the first screenshot,

with one of the faces highlighted. Sometimes it shows to top surface, sometimes it shows the hole surface, not sure why, but I can select ten identical holes, and sometimes it highlights one surf, sometimes the other. Thing is, you need to make them all the same. As shown in the second screen shot, if you hit Other Face, the other face is selected. You need to make them all the same, but which face you select depends on how you enter the angle. For example, in this part, I selected the Top Face, and entered 30 deg for the angle. This gives me a 120 degree c-sink. If I had selected the other surface, as in screen shot 2, the 30 deg would be going the other way, and it would be a 60 deg c-sink.

post-40969-0-91176700-1319241958_thumb.jpg

post-40969-0-10724800-1319241969_thumb.jpg

post-40969-0-25597900-1319241979_thumb.jpg