Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sodick Wire EDM

Rob G

Just a general question to anyone out there?

When cutting tapers of any sort on any machine is it the top or bottom head that moves indepently to the other.

I ask this question due to Mastercams Backplot when I tell the program to cut an internal appature with a larger size at the bottom I specify Offset to the Right(G42) and Taper to the Right (G52). However in mastercams backplot it shows the shape at bottom being smaller.

Any response to my question will be very much appreciated and Thankyou in advance

cheers.gif

We cut 4-axis....and the top head makes the UVZ moves and the XY moves the bottom, well the cabinet moves. THe bottom is actually fixed just the table and cabinet moves around it.

As far as the taper question no help here. Never taper cut. I'd 4-axis cut before taper, unless you don't have a 4-axis machine then you'd taper cut.

HTH

quote:

the top head makes the UVZ moves and the XY moves the bottom...

It's the UV axes head that is shifted to create the taper.

Imagine yourself riding on the wire, looking in the direction of travel. If you program to taper to the right, the UV head is shifted off to the right from the XY (and you would lean to the right). Since the UV is considered to be the the upper head, the 'top' of the part in this (taper right) case would be a larger opening than te 'bottom' of the part.

Of course on many (most?) Wire EDMs, top (the UV coordinates) & bottom (the XY coordinates) can be placed where ever you wish by the work plane settings on the machine.

Your 'Z1' & 'Z5', settings on Mitsubishi wires, the 'H', 'W' & 'R' on Charmilles, etc.

On Sodick, I think these are the ->

Table to Upper, Table to Lower, Table to Program ('TP'), Table to Next ('TN') settings.

[ 06-20-2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Roger Martin from CNC Software ]