Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe face groove inside a relief area.

While i'm waiting on my tooling contacts to reply, i figured i would ask here also to see if anyone could point me in the right direction. :)

I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on a tool to cut this groove. I've been skimming tool catalogs for about an hour now and haven't come up with anything. I would rather stay away from a custom made tool if possible. Somebody must make a tool for this application. :unsure:

pic attached below.

Thanks in advance. ;)

The PH Horn catalog is probably where I would start looking.

Thanks for the reply.

PH Horn is usually my first choice also. :)

It seems they have everything but what i am looking for.

The biggest issue is the width of the relief area that the tool has to fit into.

I also have to figure out how i am going to leave stock on the .745 dia. without there being a step up to the face groove after its ground.:rolleyes:

have you tried Thinbit

Thinbit has a few tools with a .500 wide shank that might clear. But, they don't tell you how far the insert sticks out the side....

How about a ID grooving tool (Circle or Horn or Micro100 or somebody) held in an OD station? You'd end up with something looking like a golf club sticking our of the turret and it should be small enough to fit in your .660-something clearance.

C

Thought about that too....

The question there is, How do you get the tip of the insert on center without grinding half of the bar off?

Thinking i may be better off just modifying a standard face groove tool to fit.

How do you get the tip of the insert on center without grinding half of the bar off?

I'm not following you; but we have 100% Capto so we'd just run a LH boring bar adapter on a RH machine and it'd be on center. I have done this in the past with reasonable success but I am not familiar with what the stick tool offerings are that would be appropriate for this.

C