Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stumbled onto something handy

65er

I don't know if this was ever an intended feature but something I've been doing lately has really helped me verify parts before sending to the machines. Pretty much everything I do anymore is from a solid model and when I create curves on all edges it gives me a great tool for part verification. I'll make the levels with the solid and wireframe models visible before running the veify with true solids. Then after the part runs and the verify screen is still up, hit pretty much any analyze button. Distance, entity, angle or whatever doesn't matter. Then roll the part around and hover over any features you want to check. The wireframe elements highlight into the verify screen and you can easily spot differences between the solid model and what you've cut. Leftover stock, wrong size fillets, undercuts, holes depths etc. Everything shows up and you can cover a ton of features quick.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this but I haven't heard of it before so I thought it would be good to pass along.

do you know about stl compare?

I had never messed with that but I just did experiment with it. It made the differences easier to see but bogs the crap out of my computer. Thanks for pointing that out though, I think I'll get some use out of that.

Here are the two side by side. The STL compare makes the missed fillet show up well but the wireframe also shows it. It's not as obvious in the picture, but when you're rolling the model around and gliding over it, the wireframes flashing on and off show up very well. Sort of a quick n dirty way since I don't have to create the STL file for it and I can roll the part around and zoom in and out quickly.

STLCOMPARE.jpg

WIREVERIFY.jpg

Thanks for sharing your findings! You are correct in that STL compare can be quite demanding on your computer. There are things that you can do to minimise the effect of this (such as reducing tolerances etc.) Also when in STL compare I usually take it off compare view ( so just display machined stock) when I rotate the view, and then activate the compare again. Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find it very helpful, and a great opportunity to share knowledge with others.

Brendan

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your findings! You are correct in that STL compare can be quite demanding on your computer. There are things that you can do to minimise the effect of this (such as reducing tolerances etc.) Also when in STL compare I usually take it off compare view ( so just display machined stock) when I rotate the view, and then activate the compare again. Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find it very helpful, and a great opportunity to share knowledge with others.

Brendan

Thanks much Brendan.

I'm not really a newbie but I haven't been around for quite a while. I have learned tons of stuff from this forum though and am ever grateful.

Didn't remember any of my old login info but this "feature" has been useful enough to me that I thought it would be worth signing up again to share.