Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe verify STL probs

chris m

Gentlemen

I am having a problem with generating STL files when turning parts that are cut-off from a bar.

The problem is that after I verify and click the STL icon the STL is created to include the bar that I just cut the part off of. I have tried some different things and the only thing I can come up with is to define my stock length as part length plus cutoff insert width and neglect the rest of the bar extending back to the chuck; is there another way?

I've tried to manipulate the STL file and delete the portion that I don't want but that does not seem to work as I keep getting:

quote:

There are no surfaces on the screen or none have been selected

when I try to write the file.

Any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks

C

Chris,

You wouldn't be able to trim an STL file like surfaces or solids because it's only a collection of polygons (lines). As far as the verification is, have you tried to convert your geometry to an STL file and then use it to verify or are you just using the "Save STL" button in the verify controls and then defining the stock with that file? I am running a Basic Lathe class today and tomorrow but will look this over. HTH. cheers.gif

Peter

What I tried to do was actually delete all of the entities that made up the solid bar shape, leaving only the turned part. What I did was read the file using the File Converter, the delete all the unwanted entities, then I tried to write the file using the File Converter but I got the error above.

I also tried to delete the part I didn't want using the Xform file option but that doesn't allow deletion.

I am creating the STL file using the button in Verify, not thru any other method.

C

I ran into this same problem around V7? I believe that the ->convert->stl requires a solid b/c of the way the coding is done. What I have had to do is either define the part so there is no stock left over then manipulate using Main Menu->File->Converters->STL->Xform file. if you need moere than that you will have to a third-party application with an stl manipulator.

If you have a simple part and some patience you can edit the stl file by hand.

good luck.