Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stock definition defaults

AshM

Hi,

I am getting a weird problem where on just one PC for every new file / machine group, the default stock definition has changed from being rectangular to file, where it is then defaulting to a certain .stl file which was genenerated in verify ages ago. So every time we startup mastercam or start a new file, we end up looking at a top view of a half finished .stl from aways back. Clearly its not hard to go and change the stock definition, but this is irritating.

So anyway, I had a look at this, and found that it only happens on one of our PCs, suggesting that there is a local change on that PC which is the cause. So now from what I can work out this setting is configured using the defaults setting in the control definition, which points to a file on the C:\ drive. Becasue we have mastercam installed on 3 PCs, and only 1 creates this problem, I figured I would copy a working MM_Mill.defaults-5 file from a working PC, and overwrite the bad one on the dud PC... this failed because our stupid IT guys have locked the folder so we all have read-only access so I can't overwrite the bad one.... (but I'm still at a lose as to why it would have changed if we can't write to the folder)....

Anyway, because our IT people are slow to act to fix things, I thought "I can beat them!", so I copied a good file to a network drive, went into the control def manager and changed the setting in the 'files' tab for "default operations library (metric)" to point to the new file in the network location. I then went into the parameters for...

operation defaults (where I can see the path is now pointing to the network location)

->Metric

-> (operation) 53 Stock Model

-> Parameters

and I changed the setting to a cyclinder around the x axis, just so that I could see if the change worked.....

saved.

Closed Mastercam, reopened, and nothing... I still have the same problem on the bad computer, and on the new computers I still get a default rectangle.... so nothing is fixed.

Am I screwing this up, or am I messing with the wrong setting?

Hi There,

I'm pretty sure what you are after is in the config file, not the operation defaults. To Change this go into settings > sonfiguration > verify settings tab at the bottom. From here you can change the default to clock, cylinder or file, and modify a few of the settings. Make sure you save the changes to this file else it will only work on your current running window of Mastercam.

Having said this, my version seems to have a bit of a mind of its own and will change itself sometimes based on the last part that I have machined

I'm pretty sure Brendan is right on this one. It's in the config. If you click the + next to verify interface, and click on verify settings, there is a variety of options there. I had pretty much the same problem as you...a particular STL getting locked in as the stock setup file. SO if you pull the dropdown down, and select file, then delete whatever file path is in the "File name" box, then switch back to box or cylinder or whatever you should be golden. Make sure the "Initial Stock Size Source" dropdown is selected appropriately as well. Also, be sure stock settings in your operation defaults are correct. That should do it.

I've had a bit more of a play (all above the waist!)..

When you start a new file, go straigh into the operation manager for the machine group, then files you can see the path to the defaults file, which in my case is now a network location... 1st screenshot (MGP-files.bmp)

Then if I edit the properties for the defaults by clicking the "!" button I have set the default stock setup to be a cylinder Ø50 x 80 mm.... 2nd screenshot (Defaults-Stock Setup.bmp)

Save all this...

Start a new file, so this should now reload the defaults (?), go straight into the operation manager for the machine group, then stock setup I can now see that the values for the cylinder I defined in the defaults have come accross but only the values, the shape hasn't.... so it has now given me a default box 50 (previously a dia.) x 80 x 0 mm cube.... 3rd screenshot (MGP-new stock setup.bmp)

I put all three screenshots in a zip because together they are exceeding my quota...

My real question here is am I doing this all wrong, or why isn't this working for me? Originally I was trying to edit operation 53 - stock definition, which I now know was all wrong.... but now I am editing what I think is right, only some of the values I make as default are working the way I think they should...

screenshots.zip