Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Double Angle Chamfer Mill/2D Chamfer

dylskee

I'm setting up a job that I use a double angle chamfer mill to break some edges and I was wondering if it were possible to use the 2D chamfer option with a cutter of this type or do I have to use a contour instead? I made a custom tool and used "Undefined" and I get an Invalid Tool Type error when trying to generate the tool path. I use these types of cutters when I have to deburr a step I mill up to a shoulder, just wondering if I can use the 2D chamfer or am I going to have to use a 2D contour?

post-20423-0-62856600-1339186571_thumb.jpg

I just did a bunch of back chamfering with one of those. I had to end up using a 2D contour toolpath and fart around with the depths until it came out right. I don't see why one couldn't use a chamfer toolpath, I just couldn't/wouldn't make it work.

I just did a bunch of back chamfering with one of those. I had to end up using a 2D contour toolpath and fart around with the depths until it came out right. I don't see why one couldn't use a chamfer toolpath, I just couldn't/wouldn't make it work.

I actually did what Jeff suggested and it worked perfectly. I just defined the bottom half of the chamfer mill and used the 2D chamfer setting my tool tip as low as I could get it so I could use the largest dia possible.

post-20423-0-10461300-1339191188_thumb.jpg

Off topic here but where can I adjust the Verify settings to get a better looking stock model? I create a solid for most of my stock models and when I go to verify it's all faceted and looks like crap! It's not a huge deal but I would be happier if I could make it look a little better, it looks great in GibbsCam or Solidworks but looks horrible in MasterCam.

Off topic here but where can I adjust the Verify settings to get a better looking stock model? I create a solid for most of my stock models and when I go to verify it's all faceted and looks like crap! It's not a huge deal but I would be happier if I could make it look a little better, it looks great in GibbsCam or Solidworks but looks horrible in MasterCam.

Change the tool tolerance in the options page The default value is .008, which is pretty rough

Change the tool tolerance in the options page The default value is .008, which is pretty rough

I tried that but it didn't seem to help that much...... Another strange thing I noticed when using stock models is when I regenerate an operation I see a wireframe of the entire model, what causes this? It only happens when I have a stock model within my file though.

60243916.th.jpg

I tried that but it didn't seem to help that much...... Another strange thing I noticed when using stock models is when I regenerate an operation I see a wireframe of the entire model, what causes this? It only happens when I have a stock model within my file though.

60243916.th.jpg

I have noticed this too, but only when running MC on a horrible Dell Costco special.