Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ball End Mill Troubles

Absolute machining noob issue here, i'm sure.

I recently had a project where I was basically machining a 1" radius half-pipe shaped channel out of 1018.

I decided to rough this out with a ball end mill. (mistake?)

Using a 3/4" 4-flue cobalt ball end mill, step down of .200, speed 560, feed 4.0.

The cutter makes it about 2" into the first cut (slotted width at this point because it is the first cut) and burns up. The part and the cutter are glowing red from underneath a constant flood of coolant.

E-Stop.

End Mill ruined.

Load in a piece of carbide to clear the wreckage.

Someone mentioned chip clearance being an issue, so I switched to a 3/4" 2-Flute HSS ball end mill, and made no changes to the speed and feed. After that it cut fine. No problems, even without lowering the feed to take into account fewer flutes.

I've had other issues with this type of cut with a 4-flute ball end mill. Should I just avoid using 4-flutes for this type of slotted ball cut? Should I raise/lower my feed?

thanks guys.

i chose to rough with a BEM because using a flat endmill left large chunks of material to be machined on my finish pass.

just leave it that way and let the BEM hog out those areas, or should I add another rough operation before my finish to remove those areas?