Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Contract Programming

I have the opportunity to do some Contract programming for a reputable company here. I am new to the contract programming thing, can you all give me advise on what I should charge?

According to the customer, it will be pretty basic 2d lathe and mill. They make tool holders 40 Cat and 50 Cat. I would be writing about 200 programs.

Should I charge by the hour or by the program?

Thanks all,

Todd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Charge what the market will bear.

Factor in your expenses like , Software Maintenance, Hardware updates, take into account Fed and State Tax, you'll have to throw in some money for FICA, State Disability, add in cost if you need to be onsite vs. at home in your jammies and slippers, it's not really a number that anyone can give you. I mean I've seen the range go from $45/hr up to $150+ depending on the work.

Sorry I can't be more specific, just too many variables.

• Like 1

If you can charge by the hour that is always a good way to go. The biggest thing I can stress is make your quote for the job very descriptive on what you will deliver, Programs, tool lists, etc. Also put in a clause about program revision charges. You don't want them calling you all the time to make stupid changes because their operators don't like something in a program that will make a good part if they leave it as is.

• Like 1