Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Workholding systems recommendations for a "larger" 5 axis machine.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains on this subject ;)

It's for the Okuma Millac 800VH with 800mm pallets and the travel of 40x40x40

The parts will vary greatly so we're after something that will allow for quick and accurate changeovers. Availability, support, multitude of choices and staying with one company/brand is at the top of the list.

We already use Raptor chucks and we like them on the smaller parts...

We also use several Unilock chucks but their limited choices are a major negative. Schunk has some great choices...

No matter which way we'll go, it's going to be a major investment so I'm hoping for some ideas and recommendations here.

TIA :)

I know you say the parts will vary greatly, but can you give a little more detail? For the bigger parts - are they big and flat like structural bulkheads? Or are they big square blocks like semiconductor hogouts? What are the highest volumes you'll be running?

I'd probably try to use one pallet for smaller parts (baseplate with quick change between different size Raptor fixtures), and the other pallet for big parts (large offset angle plate style fixture). Use your other FMS machines or VMCs for all of the non-5 axis ops.

Whichever way you go - I'd recommend putting a sub plate on the pallet with only a few MPower Speedlocs for swapping out fixture plates. I don't know how many tombstones/fixtures you've swapped in and out on regular pallets - but it always ends up taking way longer than it should and making a big mess. There are just too many places on the pallet for chips to get hung up and stuck.

Joe,

Sizes will vary from say 4" cube all the way to 8x12x35. The bigger parts will tend to be "longer", so none of the 20x20x20 cube type of work, at least not yet ;)

We already use several offset angle plates an I love them. The thing is I want to swap that stuff fast and accurately since we don't have fms on this machine.