Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4-Axis Pocket

shook2009

I use X4.

I have a project with a pocket in a shaft.

I've tried 4-Axis Rotary Toolpath and Multiaxis toolpath.

The pocket is rectangular and the bottom of the pocket is a radius with the same center as the center of the shaft.

So far, it basically kellers the pocket at A axis locked at 45 degrees....and that is not what I want it to do.

The result I want is to have a program that posts out similar to this:

This is a crude example

G0X0Y0Z4.0A45.0;

Z3.1;

G1Z3.0F10.;

X6.0;

A46.0;

X0;

A47.0;

X6.0;

A48.0;.....etc....

I want to keller it with the axis rotating....and the tool centered above the part centerline.

Can anyone help with the settings....I've tried...

Cut Pattern: cylinder and surface

Tool Axis control: Lines and cut surface

Cut Surfaces: Comp to surface, and use cut pattern

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

post-23807-0-23601500-1350874814_thumb.jpg

Are the walls of the pocket on the center line of the shaft? If the walls are offset from the center, you will need to use one of the multi-axis toolpaths, set to 4th Axis output only. If the walls are on center, you can use a 2D path like contour or pocket, and use the Axis substitution feature to "wrap" the toolpath on a diameter. This will cause the post to substitute the Y axis motion with a rotary move.

yes, the walls are offset...the center of the rib would actually be the centerline....so, the tool would be offset by 1/2 of the rib and 1/2 of the cutter.

so, what you are saying, is that I'd have to create a 2D pocket...that is as long as the arc of the pocket on the shaft?

Thanks for the help....I'll try it and see how it goes.

Thanks, I will try what you suggest....previously I used the Multi-Axis and selected 4-Axis.

I tried several options:

Cut Pattern: cylinder and surface

Tool Axis control: Lines and cut surface

Cut Surfaces: Comp to surface, and use cut pattern

I was not able to get it to back plot or post what I wanted it to do.

Story behind the project:

I'm a machinist who works on mastercam projects for practice purposes at home...and I don't have very much on the job "software cnc programming" experience.

I've been trying for some time now to find a job where I could get this experience. I recently found a job that will allow me to design, program and machine fixtures.

About a month ago, I interviewed at a company that manufactured machines that make tortillas.

I aced the shop math test, however I didn't do so well on the mastercam test. My experience with 4-axis is more positional, setting up planes and locking the rotary table.

I decided to create a shaft that is similiar to one of the shafts that they tested me on.

Their shaft was a lot more complex. I didn't get that job, however, I need to practice this type of 4 axis programming.

sorry to bore you with a long story,

Thanks for the help....I'll see if it works.

Bill