Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

T slot saw cutter question

I have a slot to cut in A2 that is 10 inches long 1.260 x .551 with a .790 slot thru to the t slot. The space between the top and slot is .492. I asked my supervisor to buy a t slot cutter that uses inserts and he purchased a generic brand with inserts that only use one side of the insert. I will insert a picture of the cutter. The cutter has no brand name on it so probably china made.

I wonder if anyone could give me speeds and feed to start with that I could try out this cutter. I will cut the .791 slot to depth before doing the t slot. Material is A2. Does anyone have ideas? Air or coolant to cool the tool?

Thanks

Jeff

post-12263-0-27903000-1354060430_thumb.jpg

I would recommend coolant for this cutter, mainly for the chip flushing. C5 is a tough enough grade to handle the thermal shock. Even though there are 4 inserts, treat this as 2 effective due to the staggered inserts. I would start around 250 SFM and .005 IPT for a conservative starting point. Then, this can be increased as harmonics and chip evacuation permit.

HTH

p.s. -- I do not have a speed and feed chart here with me, you may get better numbers out of the handbook.