Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AS9100 Documentation Tips

I have an odd request, not sure if this is the proper forum but here goes... I could use a template for program storage and retrieval per AS9100 requirements. I have implemented my own take on what needs to be covered, but our parent company remotely implied their version, which I believe to be overtly complicated and has more than a few questionable issues of its own. We have an audit coming up and I would really appreciate some input on a typical guidelines to draft another policy for our files. I previously had drafted the current layout I have been implementing for over a year now just last week but one of our secretaries misplaced it after receiving the above mentioned. Mind you mine was drawn on from my history with other companies attaining certification for ISO or AS9100. If anyone wouldn't mind sharing their procedure I would appreciate it as we have the audit this week and it was a short notice thing for me to handle it. I know they want to see all pertinant info such as customer, revs, setup procedures, etc, and how the system is backed up verified, etc....I guess I am asking for a known working, certed solution as a guideline because I don't plan on it being my department that falls short. Great pre holiday fun...our owner thinks it's gona be a shoe in, but I know it never happens that easy. Especially with this economy. Seen other companies take years just because the owners wouldn't budge on old ways. Hoping this won't be our last Christmas...

Thanks in advance...

Yeah that's my concern. Who knows what has changed since the last round of ISO I went through. Although I did confer with the registrar that was helping getting the companies oriented initially, and he was happy with the system I had began implementing, give or take a couple items needing refinement. What gets me is our parent company was supposed to have all this taken care of, but they jumped a little too deep into the whole scheme. Hard to explain here without the procedure list handy, but trust me... it was going to make production virtually come to a stop without say 2-3 people working daily to get it rolling. On top of that it would require me to basically have to go through each and every program and rewrite all information, etc to be able to use it. The guys on the shop floor wouldn't have much say so, and to be honest, most of the lathe work I stay out of anyhow. I mainly handle all the mill work, and I've adjusted both departments files, it;s just that the lathes have quite a bit of work cut out for them regarding headers, tool info etc. Not to mention there has been a changing of the guard so to speak with mostly new people taking over, so nothing is well documented or structured. I started just over a year ago and pointed out the problems, and have been cleaning as I go, all my programs are compliant, so it's the stuff leftover from my predecessors that raises the concerns. I simply have moved all unknown or undocumented (i.e. no Rev specified, no Vendor info, etc. ) to a temporary holding area until we either trash these files or someone figures out what they are. And as I mentioned, I was told this would all be taken care of, but here we are less than a week to go and now it's on me. :smoke: I did locate one companies procedure which was fairly sparce regarding info or specifications, so I'm thinking simple and to the point is better then long winded and overly complex, with most of the details kept on a need to know basis. I've seen what happens when the documentation is over indulgent, yet the system is a far cry from whats stated. I frequently deal with engineers from major aerospace companies and they seemingly have quite a few logistics issues regarding rev's, missing dimensions, bad views on drawing, etc. Wonder how that happens with all this redundancy checking in place.