Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rotary axis positioning

Manuel0822

When you are drilling holes on the outside of a part, I like the code posted when you use the rotary axis positioning on the RA control tab, the problem I have is rotary axis positioning works the same as axis substitution, ie, your WCS has to be set to center of the part, but I would like to set my Z zero on top of the part.

Is there any other ways around this?

This is the code I would like to get:

N1

( 1/2 SPOTDRILL | TOOL - 1 | DIA. OFF. - 1 | LEN. - 1 | TOOL DIA. - .5 )

( SPOT DRILL HOLES )

T1 M06

G0 G90 G54 X-.472 Y0. A0. S1069 M3

G43 H1 Z1.

M8

G98 G81 Z-.19 R.1 F1.1

A120.

A240.

G80

M5

G91 G28 Z0. M9

M01

I know I could use transform but then it will give me a G81 line per every index position.

Any ideas?

You only need to set your Working Coordinate System to the center of the part. As long as the Tool Plane and Construction plane are rotated to the correct angle you can use what point you want/need for your X,Y,Z origin.

If you use your "top view" for you Working Coordinate System and set the center of the part as your origin.

Then copy your "top view" and change the origin to the top of the part.

Then you could use Transform rotate.

The rotary axis is really only looking for angle changes between the W.C.S. planes to output the right A-axis move. Then it will use the Tool plane for origin numbers.

To me it makes the possibility of a crash much greater by not using the center of the part as your origin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for pointing that out and yes, setting Z0. at top of the part could lead to crashes but in this case I'm talking about putting slots and holes around the outside of a round part, so max Z height of the stock never changes. People on this shop used to program by hand so that's the way they're used to see this kind of program.

Also when i have slots on the outside, it makes it easier for the operators to read a program where they can relate the programmed depth to what is shown on the print so I get their point on using the Z0.

HTH