Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma memory question Okuma Gurus

It has been a while since I worked with Okumas, but recently I have been more and more. One problem I continually run into and have of yet to recieve a good answer for is program size. It seems that most of the

osp-p200 controls have a 2gb resident memory and a 40 gb hard drive. Most of the programming I do is very complex and 2gb is rarely enough. Is ther a way to run a program off the hard drive? I have been told that I can have a main or .min file in resident memory and call a .sub on the hard drive and use CALL and RTS, but I have been unsucessful in getting it to work. Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

You would need the DNC-DT option to run programs larger than 2GB from the hard drive or a network drive.

What is the machine model and does it have supernurbs. I have found that sometimes I am posting unnecessarily large programs when I could be using supernurbs to smooth out the code. Likewise on a 5x you can use tool posture control smooth out vectors and not have to post such small vector changes. Sometimes though a part is just so big and there is enough finishing that the code is going to be large.

All of my experience with DNC-DT was on older controls that didn't have the hard drive space so the programs were read from a network location. I believe that DNC-DT will allow reading of a program from another location on the machines hard drive but I have never tried it. I would have to just do a little "trial and error" to figure it out. I have a P200M control simulator in the office that has DNC-DT. I could look into sometime this week when I get back into the office.

I would appreciate it Doug. They were sold the machine under the assumption that it was a full 5-axis not just a positional B axis. I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation. :cheers:

Bummer, there were only a few B-axis Okuma mill turns made with full 5. You can get it on a new factory build though.

The mill controller is slightly different to the lathe controller.

Having the DNC-DT option is always a good idea however on the Mill you can get away with not having DNC-DT. The P200M will let you run the program in "S" method which allows large files but no branches. The lathe is a different story as there is no program selection method, so here DNC-DT is a must. Without DNC-DT 2MB is the max individual program size.

Have you tried a SDf file from a TC drive?

PSELECT MD1:DYN25\DD\R15.MIN

or

PSELECT TC:DYN25\DD\R15.MIN

I doubt this will work but it is worth a try