Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Stock Definition

McRae

I have defined some stock that Mastercam will not recognize easily. I have a casting that has a riser ring attached to the front of the profile. the width of the ring is from 15inch diameter to 13inch diameter atZ+1.0". The profile that I have to face is from 15" to 14" at Z0. Mastercam will not recognize the stock for depth cuts and face off the stock unless the ring crosses the profile that I am going to face.

Is this a common occurance for anyone else and what have you done to overcome this??

I can't post the actual profile that I had trouble with but I did make a similar case and uploaded Stock_Posting.mc9 to the lathe directory. I like to use the roughing tool path to do all this type of work as I don't trust the "Face" tool path - just old fashioned I guess. Notice that the disable stock recognition is active in this example to start.

Anyway, the stock is the chained yellow profile shape and the bold red is the line for the required face contour.

When I made the stock a complete rectange without the little undercut on the ID the tool path worked correctly and would take depth cuts. With this undercut - the software acted like disable stock recognition was effective.

After I changed the switch to use stock for outer boundary on this sample file, it now works... I can't reproduce the error that I had yesterday.

Thanks for looking anyway and I wanted to document some quasi trouble and see if there was anything similar out there.